01 October, 2008

Bumps and bruises. And some kisses.

You might remember our stint last “school” year when Winston had a perma-bruise and bump on his head. I swear I think he fell down and bumped his head three times in one week. Well, we got another taste of that last week.

Anytime there is an injury at school the teachers fill out an incident slip and leave it for a parent’s signature. Inevitably I see the slip of paper before I see Winston, so I can be prepared. Right? If the injury is either more serious or just looks that way, the teachers will call to notify you, or at least warn you before you see your child. On Wednesday of last week was notice #1. Just a slip of paper.

Winston had been pushing a toy shopping cart on the playground. Ok, he was running with it. He hit a bump and the cart toppled forward. Not one to let go, Winston went with it, skidding on his hand across the concrete. This meant he had scraped knuckles and a fairly icky looking owie on the top of his right hand. It needed a band-aid for certain. Winston was quick to show me his owie when I got there. And I was quick to give him and the owie kisses. (note -- this is the first time that I used the "let momma kiss it and make it better" line. It works!)

On Thursday we had incident #2. This one necessitated a call. It was 4:47 pm. (yes I noted it). Winston had been playing with another child and wrestling (?) and they both fell to the floor. (Huh? They were standing up to wrestle, you ask? Just wait.). Winston fell and hurt his eye on the rail of a rocking chair. The teacher who called me said it was swollen pretty badly, but that Winston was in good spirits. Not a serious injury. Just looked bad right now. Ok. Breathe momma, breathe.

I get to school and my little guy has a black eye and a red bump on his nose. But, yep, he was in good spirits. As it ends up, he was getting hugs (and maybe kisses?) from either one or two little girls. Things got a bit aggressive and they fell. Now, I don’t know which little girls were involved. But I have my suspicions.

1 comment:

Ohana Mama said...

oh no! becareful Wynn!