02 October, 2008

Random musing for the day

I get it now; the whole appearance of the professional working (out of the home) mom. Or, rather, the illusion.

Whenever I see a well-put together mom either out with her kids, or picking-up/dropping-off at daycare I am so impressed. And downright jealous. I am talking about the perfect hair, the nice crisp suit, stylish shoes. And general lack of anxiety. And least there doesn’t seem to be any anxiety that’s readily perceived from the onlooker (me). If anything there is a sense of business. Like the mom in question is already in “office-mode” and the kids know it. Everything seems to click along like a well-oiled machine.

Yeah, that’s all bunk.

The professional working mommy knows how to put up a smoke-screen. How do I know this? I think I am doing it. I am dressed up today. Not really, just looking more “professional” and more “suited” (pun-intended) for my “director” title. At least I feel that way. And I noticed that the teachers at daycare treated me a bit differently, another “suited” mom gave me a knowing look at drop-off. I kept thinking, “what’s up?” And, oh yeah, the handful of other times I look a bit different in my dress (and perhaps as a result, my demeanor), things were also somehow different. Then it hit me. They think I “look” like I have it together. HA!!

See, I get it. I finally get it.

1 comment:

Ohana Mama said...

I love those days when I feel like I have my sh*t together! LOL

Here's to more of those!!!